I Peed My Pants in Italy

Docking in Civitavecchia, Italy, the only way to get to Rome was to either hire a driver or ride the train.  With many departure times and just about an hour's journey away, I opted to take the train. 

Once in Rome, I spent the entire day attempting to take in as much as humanly possible.  As we all know, Rome was not built in a day, nor can it be seen in a day.  Vatican City alone can take hours to explore, and it is not something you really want to rush as there is just SO much to take in. 

Assuming you also want to travel to the Coliseum, visit the Trevi Fountain or walk the Spanish Steps, you're going to want multiple days here.  Considering I didn't have multiple days here, I had to push the limits on how much time I could spend in each location. 

Although I thought I was taking precaution and planned to catch the earlier time of the 2 train departures back to Civitavecchia, that all changed when the first departure was canceled.  I knew at that point I would have to race in order to get back to the shuttle that was transporting people from the town center back to the ship.

As the train approaches, I realize I am on the wrong side of the tracks and the only way I will be able to get in is from the other side.  I immediately began bolting down the stairs, under the bridge and up to the other side.  The train doors began to close before I had gotten inside, and I had to make a jump for it.  The doors closed behind me, and I somehow made it right in the nick of time. 

This moment truly felt like something out of a movie, as the doors never re-opened, and the train instantly took off.

Still in a panic about getting to the shuttle, I knew I couldn't do anything but wait and hope for the best.  I calculated I had about 5 minutes to get to the shuttle that was probably about 15 minutes away under normal circumstances.  

The moment the train arrived back in Civitavecchia; I again took off bolting down the street.  Hoping to catch a taxi and alleviate this stress, there were none available, and my only option was to run. 

This sort of strain, motion and pressure from already having to go to the bathroom put me in a predicament.  I could feel my bladder beginning to release itself, but I knew I couldn't spare even a second to pop a squat.  

And so, I decided my only option was to just let it go and I full-blown peed my pants while running.  It was an awful experience but one I had to endure if there was any hope of me making it in time. 

I continued to sprint and eventually saw the shuttle, which was an incredible relief.  Anxious to get back to the ship so I could change my clothes, the driver told me that he was required to wait for a tour group that also had some delays.  

Although this added a new level of stress, it is probably best it worked out that way or who knows if the shuttle would have been there in the first place.  It also gave me extra time to air out and dry off as much as possible, still dreading getting on a bus with other people in close proximity.

One rule that the ship/captain tries to uphold is to not leave until all passengers are accounted for, especially if their location is known.  This does not pertain to crew, however, and at the captain's discretion they can easily decide to set sail and let the crew member figure it out on their own. 

For this reason, the all-aboard time for crew is usually half an earlier than for passengers and was the case on this particular day as well.  I knew I was in trouble, but I knew I was safe.

The other passengers finally arrived, and we began our journey back to the ship.  Needless to say, it was a stressful and embarrassing ride back to the ship but we all eventually made it. 

Upon re-entry my crew card was taken away and I was penalized by not being able to get off the ship for the next 3 ports.  I also had to write a letter to the captain apologizing and explaining how it would never happen again. 

Although this consequence definitely left a lasting impression, it was more so the rat-race, stress and torture of wet shorts that really taught me not to push my luck in those types of situations. 

Sometimes it's just better to be safe, than sorry.